Organic farming is a form of agriculture that relies on crop rotation, green manure, compost, biological pest control
and mechanical cultivation to maintain soil productivity and control pests.
Since in urban cities limitation is insufficient land for farming, the concept of terrace farming, vertical and container farmings are upcoming trends in urban farming. Here in this blog I will be sharing every single effort and techniques in building my Organic Roof :)

Location Details:

Country: India

State: Kerala

City: Trivandrum

Climate:Tropical, equable, hot, humid and dry.


Soil: Red soil in the Southern-most part of Kerala

Monday, December 27, 2010

Other varieties of plantations

Surrounding of my courtyard there is little space where I tried bigger plants those may not support the roof. In this Post I will share few other plantations that I did, also 'Vaalari Payar' (kind of a Pea). I will be updating this post when ever I try something new.



Banana plant, planted behind my house, but not on roof.











Drumstick Plant, planted behind my house, but not on roof.












Planted On Roof :
Big Pea (Vaalari Payar)
Seedling was grown in container it self and
appeared with long leaves.




This is a Pea plant called 'Vaalari Payar' in Malayalam.
Not aware on English name of it.











Big pea plant did not grow in size, it does not have
any vines and after 30 days of planting, it started
producing buds.





Another variety of beans known as Broad beans




Ready to prepare a dish with beans and grated coconut.
In Malayalam Language it is called -'Payar thoran'


















This dish was prepared with broad beans, potato and onions.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Do you have the seeds of Big pea plant and broad beans with you? If yes, could you please share it with me? I am from Bangalore and I have a small container vegetable garden. I have few seeds of different vegetables and I can exchange it with you if you are interested.

    Thanks,
    Ramesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ramesh, Yes I do have a few. Tell me how can I help you.

    Please send me a mail to my gmail account.

    Last week I planted 5 big pea plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Sorry I couldn't get your name yet. If you could send those seeds by post to the below address it would be really great.

    RAMESH.V.D
    C312, JAL VAYU VIHAR, KAMMANAHALLI MAIN ROAD,
    KAMMANAHALLI,BANGALORE - 560043.

    I couldn't get your gmail id. My gmail id is vdramesh at gmail dot com.

    I have the following seeds with me.

    1) Tomatoes (Red Cherry tomato, Indam Naveen (Hybrid)
    2) Brinjal (White,Violet, Long Green, Black Beauty (very big fruits), Long Purple.
    3) Chilly (Capsicum (Green, yellow & Red).
    4) Carrot & Beetroot
    5) Cauliflower & Cabbage.

    If you need any of the above seeds let me know and I can send it to your address.

    Thanks,
    Ramesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ramesh, I can send you but you may need to wait for some more time.

    ReplyDelete