Organic farming is a form of agriculture that relies on crop rotation, green manure, compost, biological pest control
and mechanical cultivation to maintain soil productivity and control pests.
Since in urban cities limitation is insufficient land for farming, the concept of terrace farming, vertical and container farmings are upcoming trends in urban farming. Here in this blog I will be sharing every single effort and techniques in building my Organic Roof :)

Location Details:

Country: India

State: Kerala

City: Trivandrum

Climate:Tropical, equable, hot, humid and dry.


Soil: Red soil in the Southern-most part of Kerala

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vegetable garden on Roof

Inspiration on growing vegetables on roof developed while discussing with my friend Mr D, he had lot of video collections and that influenced me and there was nothing that can stop me in doing this. Looking at the benefits apart from vegetables that I can fetch, there are other benefits like; spending time at home instead of hanging around in shopping, visiting places and having food from restaurants, I am occupied with my family and the plants. I call my friends to my home and we all have food from home lets live natural.................



View the below image, plants grew in size and started giving fruit.









Gardening on roof protect the roof from sunlight,
which controls the heat with in the rooms beneath.









The image here is the roof garden maintained by my mother at her home, where i have grown few vegetables, in fact she offers all the flowers to temple, so there is not much space in the roof for vegetable garden. Here i could manage to grow, Peas, brinjal and lady's finger. here in this house we rarely use fan. and my father is saving power and in effect pocket also... :)








My Mom and my kid with the Plants  







                                                                                    Indian spinach (Cheera) very much rich in nutrients.
Cheera plant takes a month time ready for preparing curry.

In Kerala as a favorite dish, 'cheera thoran'  is served at special occasions.

2 comments:

  1. thank u for creating such a wonderful blog... i'm new to terrace cultivation.. got lot of information from this.. keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tips. extremely well-written, keyword-oriented and incredibly beneficial. their really interesting to a lot followers. I seriously get pleasure from this specific, thanks.
    Roof repairs poole

    ReplyDelete